8.11.11

Personalized Pumpkins

In an effort to savor the autumn season and celebrate the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, I wanted to share the how-to of a craft I completed this fall. Some friends may have already seen these, as I distributed a couple as gifts. These personalized pumpkins are super easy and can be worked on as you have a few spare minutes in your day. 


Materials Needed:
  • 12" wooden circles
  • Wooden rectangles
  • Wooden initial
  • Autumn ribbon
  • Tan foam sheet
  • Orange, green, ivory, plum and glitter paint
  • Paint brush and circle sponge brush
  • Hot glue gun
  • Tacky Glue
The colors used are not specific. I chose these shades of green and ivory, because I had them leftover from painting our nursery and coffee table.

Instructions:
  1. Paint wooden circle orange (I used spray paint), letters plum (I used acrylic) and rectangles green. Set aside to dry.
  2. Once dry, use your circle sponge brush to paint dots on the orange circles. Use green to paint a leaf and vine on your pumpkin. If you wish, add a design on the green rectangles (stems). Allow to dry.
  3. Once dry, the assembly process can begin! I used the Tacky Glue to glue the letters onto the pumpkin so that hot glue did not ooze out from under the letter. I also used the Tacky Glue to adhere the stem to the pumpkin.
  4. Take your ribbon and tie it around the stem of your pumpkin in a bow.
  5. If you plan to hang your pumpkin, take two small pieces of ribbon. Knot them together at one end. Take the other ends and hot glue them to the back of your pumpkin stem.
  6. Lay your foam sheet on a table and put your pumpkin on top of it. Trace around the pumpkin with a pencil. Remove your pumpkin from the foam, and cut out where you had traced.
  7. Now, I used both Tacky Glue and hot glue to glue the foam to the back of the pumpkin. I adhered the foam so that the back of the pumpkin would have a flat and more sleek backing.
  8. Finally, I sprayed the pumpkin with glitter spray paint to give it a bit of a shine!
You can view the back of the pumpkin to the right. For the ones I gave as gifts, I wrote a personal message on the back. Also, I made a miniature-size personalized pumpkin for a family who just had a new baby.

If anything is unclear, please let me know. Otherwise, happy fall crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment